Whether your student wants to attend a 4-year college or is planning to obtain an occupational skill for quicker entry into the workforce, the Dual Enrollment Program at one of Georgia’s 22 technical colleges is a great place to start.

You may be the first point of contact for the students who express interest in dual enrollment. Your role is critical in the success of the Dual Enrollment program! 

Let us help guide you and your students through the process.

What are the requirements for the high school or home school to participate?
High schools or home study programs wishing to participate in Dual Enrollment must complete a four year Participation Agreement and submit it to Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC). The 2016-2017 Dual Enrollment High School/Home Study Program Participation Agreement form must be mailed in to the GSFC office prior to student participation. 

Who is eligible?
Students in the 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade attending a participating Georgia high school or an approved home study program may be eligible to participate. Students must provide copies of their ACT or SAT scores or take the Accuplacer AssessmentClick here for a list of test score requirements. Georgia’s technical colleges have no minimum high school GPA performance requirements.

Who pays for the tuition, fees and books?
The state of Georgia has set aside funds to cover the tuition and non-course related fees for all qualified students. Under the  Dual Enrollment Program, the college provides the textbooks. However, students may be required to pay for course-related supplies or fees.

What courses are available under Dual Enrollment ?
There are hundreds of TCSG courses available through the Dual Enrollment Program. Many of the courses are directly aligned with secondary courses, while others may be considered electives. Click here for a list of available TCSG courses.

Where are classes held?
Classes may be held on the college campus, the high school campus, or may be taken online. Classes are available in the fall, spring or summer terms. Students may choose to enroll in just one Dual Enrollment class or take a full load. Contact your local technical college to find out how Dual Enrollment classes may be taught at your high school.

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Advanced Placement (AP) classes?
After successfully completing a college course, a student is awarded college credit and a grade, which will appear on the college transcript. With an Advanced Placement (AP) course, a student must pay for and pass a standardized exam with a score of 3 or higher (most colleges prefer a 4 or 5) to possibly receive college credit for the course taken.

In fact, there are AP courses approved to be taken under Dual Enrollment, taught by Certified AP and college credentialed instructor. In this case, students would get both AP and college credit.

Click here for the current list of AP/Dual Enrollment courses.

Dual Enrollment Coordinators at each college are available to assist you.

What is the Student Participation Agreement (SPA)?
Dual Enrollment requires counselors to talk with interested students and their parents about Dual Enrollment options. The Georgia Department of Education requires all parties to sign a Participation Agreement prior to enrolling in Dual Enrollment. Most participating colleges require a copy of the signed form.

What is the application process?
Each term, students must complete the Dual Enrollment Application.

The application is in three parts: (I) Student Section; (II) Counselor Section; and (III) College Section. Once the interested student completes the first section, the counselor will be able to see the application in STARS. As a counselor, you will be able to select the MOWR courses the student may take. A list of all Dual Enrollment Courses by colleges may be found by clicking here. Don’t forget for all college science classes, there is a corresponding lab that must be included.

Once all courses have been selected, the submitted application will be sent to the college. Should the college reject the application due to any errors, simply make the corrections and resubmit the application.

Home study students must complete sections I and II of the paper application. The application then goes to the college representative. After the college completes section III, the application will be mailed off to Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC).

Check with your local college for application deadlines. 

Do your students need help completing the Dual Enrollment application or creating a GAfutures.org account? Click here for instructions.

College Readiness
Although a student may meet the Dual Enrollment eligibility requirements, the student may not be ready for college level rigor. It is important for the student and parent to understand the differences between secondary and postsecondary classes.

How many credits or courses are Dual Enrollment students allowed to take in a term?
Dual Enrollment pays for up to 15 credit hours per college per term. Students may enroll in more than one college in a term. Keep in mind that TCSG colleges do not charge additional tuition after 15 credit hours so students may take more if they choose to do so.

What about transcripts?
By law, a participating Dual Enrollment student is entitled to one official college transcript per term. Many TCSG colleges automatically send transcripts to their secondary partners as a courtesy.

Are Dual Enrollment students allowed to repeat a course?
If the student does not pass a Dual Enrollment class, they are allowed to repeat the class under Dual Enrollment. Students that wish to retake a class for the sole purpose of obtaining a higher grade must pay out-of-pocket for that class.

Do Dual Enrollment students receive accommodations for an identified disability?
Yes. All TCSG colleges are required by law to provide “reasonable accommodations” for students taking classes on college campuses. Click here to learn more about how accommodations differ between high school and college

Will the college credits transfer?
There are 28 general education courses taught by TCSG colleges that are guaranteed to transfer to any of the University System of Georgia’s colleges and universities. TCSG has transfer agreements with many of Georgia’s private colleges as well.  Generally, most academic courses with a “C” or higher will transfer but students should check with the college of their choice regarding transferability.  

Will Dual Enrollment count against the HOPE Scholarship or HOPE Grant credit hours cap?

No, participating in the Dual Enrollment program will not count against the HOPE credit hour cap. In fact, the general education or core classes taken under Dual Enrollment count for the HOPE scholarship rigor requirement.  AS of July 1, 2013, Dual Enrollment courses now have the same  GPA calculation .5 weight as AP or IB courses.

Where can I go if I still have more questions?
Getting answers to your questions is as easy as 1, 2, 3.

  1. Click here for a list of Dual Enrollment staff members at all 22 technical colleges, or click the Get Started button and complete the questionnaire and a representative will contact you.
  2. Feel free to send your questions to DualEnrollment@tcsg.edu.
  3. Click here for Student and Parent FAQ from Georgia Student Finance Commission.


The Dual Enrollment Program at Georgia’s 22 technical colleges provides academic, technical and training focused on building a well-educated, globally competitive workforce for Georgia. Last year, more than 17,000 high school students enrolled in TCSG’s dual enrollment courses to advance their career goals. All TCSG Colleges are accredited under the Commission on Colleges (COC) of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), a regional accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. COC accredits all activities of degree granting colleges. Find your local technical college to get more information on Dual Enrollment.