I. C. 1. State Board Responsibilities and Authority
Effective Date: November 3, 2011
Replaces Previous Effective Date: March 1, 2007
The Board shall provide overall policies for the management of public postsecondary technical and adult education to ensure that the needs of the citizenry, business, and industry are met to the highest possible degree and in the most cost-effective and efficient manner.
The Board shall establish its guiding policies, subject to change from time to time, but all of which shall be in accordance with the established objectives and the trusteeship to the public.
The policies of the Board may be amended and/or adopted by the Board acting collectively at any meeting of the Board subject to the Board's bylaws.Responsibility
The Board shall:
1) Provide overall policy guidance to the Commissioner, who is responsible for day-to-day operations on behalf of the Board.
2) Approve overall goals and objectives for public postsecondary technical and adult education.
3) Approve annual and long-range plans for public postsecondary technical and adult education.
4) Approve changes in organizational structure or functional assignments for the Commissioner and organizational level reporting immediately to the Commissioner.
5) Employ, dismiss, and establish the salary of the Commissioner.
6) Delegate to the Commissioner the authority to hire and fire Department employees and to establish salaries in conformance with State laws and regulations.
7) Approve all new technical education programs for public postsecondary technical education and the deletion or modification of existing programs.
8) Review recommendations for annual and supplemental budget requests for all public postsecondary technical and adult education and make recommendations to the Governor and the General Assembly.
9) Establish policies and review and approve those proposed and established by the Commissioner so that the Department's operations shall meet the Board's goals and objectives.
10) Consider and act upon the following:
a) All legislation proposed by the Department.
b) All actions required by law to be taken by the Board.
c) Proposals for state-level advisory committees and the committees' membership. Members serve at the pleasure of the State Board and may be removed by the Board at any time based upon the Commissioner's recommendation.
d) All proposals for membership on local boards of directors of state technical institutes and colleges. Members serve at the pleasure of the State Board and may be removed by the Board at any time based upon the Commissioner's recommendation.
e) All contracts for construction, leases, equipment and furniture which exceed $125,000 in total annual cost. The Board shall also act upon all change orders or amendments to construction contracts that exceed twenty percent of the original contract cost. “Construction contracts” include contracts for repair or renovation.
f) All non-personnel contracts, including amendments, change orders and renewals thereto, which exceed $125,000 in total annual cost. The Board shall also act upon all change orders or amendments to existing non-personnel contracts that exceed twenty percent of the original contract cost.
g) All plans to promote the Board's activities and solicit funds.
11) Represent the State with other postsecondary technical and adult education agencies in Georgia, in other states, and at the national level.
12) Make recommendations for improving public postsecondary technical and adult education.
13) Approve mission statements of technical colleges.