I. D. 1. Local Board Responsibilities and Authority
Adopted: September 3, 1987Approved
Revised: June 7, 2001, October 21, 2003, May 3, 2012
The Local Board of Directors interprets State Board policies and provides supplemental policies to ensure that the needs of the citizenry, business, and industry in the Technical College's service area are met to the highest possible degree and in the most cost effective and efficient manner, within the guidelines of the policies and goals and objectives of the State Board of the Technical College System of Georgia.
The Local Board shall establish its guiding policies, subject to change from time to time, but all of which shall be in accordance with the established objectives, the trusteeship to the public, and the policies of the State Board of the Technical College System of Georgia.
The policies of the Local Board may be amended or adopted by the Local Board acting collectively at any regular meeting of the Local Board subject to the Local Board's bylaws.
The Local Board shall:
- Maintain awareness of, and communicate to the president, local industry and community needs for programs and services to be provided by the Technical College.
- Review and approve the local plan for evaluating the Technical College and the processes and outcomes of its student services and instructional programs.
- Review, approve, and submit to the State Board, for information and comment, an annual report regarding the performance of the Technical College relative to its goals and objectives -- including meeting the regular (ongoing) and short-term training needs of business, industry, and the community at large -- in an effective and efficient manner.
- Confer the awarding of all certificates, diplomas, and degrees to students completing approved programs in the regular instructional program of the Technical College, having assured that all standards, competencies, and other requirements of the State Board and the Technical College have been satisfied.
- Review, approve, and assure implementation of the Technical College's plan to identify, on a periodic and timely basis, the current and future training needs of business, industry, and the community at large.
- Review and approve the statement of goals and objectives for the Technical College.
- Review, approve, and submit to the State Board for its review and approval the Technical College's annual submission under the Performance Accountability System/Performance Accountability Review (PAS/PAR). Accordingly, in consequence of the requirements of Performance Accountability System/Performance Accountability Review the Board shall approve all proposals for new programs, facility expansions, and new faculty positions for submission to the State Board for its consideration.
- Review, approve, and submit to the State Board for its information and comment any other Technical College wide long- or short-range plans necessary or desirable for the Technical College to develop in preparing to meet the future needs of the communities and industries within the Technical College's service area.
- Following allocation of the annual state budget by the Department, the proposed annual "operating budget" for the Technical College shall be reviewed and approved by the Board.
- Review on a regular basis the Technical College's fiscal report of receipts, expenditures, and fund balances.
- Assure that the Technical College operates at all times in accordance with the policies of the State Board.
- Make any other recommendations as deemed appropriate to the president or the State Board regarding the improvement of the Technical College's operations or postsecondary technical education in general.
- Local boards should approve and recommend annually to the Commissioner for approval, all non-program specific fees. Local boards should approve all program specific fees.